Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Don't Shoot Me... I'm Just the Messenger!


Recently, a friend posed a challenge to his FB circle, asking the question, how can one keep silent during these days and times?  Quite frankly, it is definitely NOT silent out there, as opinions fly LEFT and RIGHT on a second by second basis!  Our world's public base has never been more involved in the sharing of its thoughts, ideas, and feelings regarding one another and the decisions that we "celebrate" or "endure" each day.

What I would consider to be a silenced element in the discussion (and I do understand why that is), would be the historical wisdom that can be gleaned from the Scriptures.  As a Catholic Deacon, I am proud to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Word of God on a regular basis, and I see challenges and answers to today's issues and questions offered by a God who loves us and dwells among us...

In my circle, the Sunday Scriptures have been quite poignant lately, providing a model for the general challenges and maybe solutions at hand.  I'll let the heart of the reader make the connections, and highlight the call for any future actions needed to defend the status quo or bring about necessary change.  My invitation for you is to simply read, absorb and consider.  I offer no conclusions, or bullet points. 

From Sunday, July 1st...

"For you know the gracious act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, for your sake he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich. Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality." (2 Cor. 8: 9, 13-14)

From Sunday, July 8th...

"I am sending you to the rebels who have rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have revolted against me to this very day.  Hard of face and obstinate of heart are they to whom I am sending you.  But you shall say to them: Thus says the LORD GOD! And whether they heed or resist—for they are a rebellious house—they shall know that a prophet has been among them." (Ezekiel 2: 3-5)

"Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 For. 12: 10)

From Sunday, July 15th...

“Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave. Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you, leave there and shake the dust off your feet in testimony against them.” (Mark 6: 10-11)

From Sunday, July 22nd...

"The apostles gathered together with Jesus and reported all they had done and taught.  He said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” People were coming and going in great numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat.  So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place."  (Mark 6: 30-31)


OK, Just One Conclusion...

There is a greater wisdom in our midst that might be calling us to not only be greater, but is giving us a hint as to what it takes to get there!

Don't shoot me... I'm just the Messenger!

Thanks for indulging me...

Peace,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment