Friday, February 26, 2016

An Open Update to all HIP-sters... Yep, That's Still You!

An Update for all my HIP-Sters... It's been ten days since my latest hip replacement, and I'm happy to say that all is going well.  I've been asked to rehab slowly, as a little bone grafting was part of the procedure. So I'll be recovering a little slower than I hoped, but this sort of thing comes with the territory! They refer to me as a PATIENT for a reason, so patient I will be!  While I've got you, I'll offer a few Lenten inspired muses that have come to me this day...



Recovery is a Weapon

I saw an interesting ad this morning after I played my word in my never ending games of Words with Friends.  It was an ad for one of those "Fitbit" competitors, encouraging the collection of those realtime stats of your running, sleeping and activity in between.  While I usually hit the "Skip Ad" button after 4 seconds, I kept watching the "Ideal Athlete" make her way through countless exercises, so she can keep up her game and win an another gold medal for the country. As everything faded to black, the closing tag line read: "Revcovery is a Weapon!"

Isn't that interesting? It jumped right off the screen and into my motivated heart. During this Lenten journey I offer this to meditate upon: Recovery is the weapon when fighting against that urge to lay around and give up for another hour! Recovery is the "weapon de jour" when fighting that battle against those who would rather drag you down! Recovery is the weapon to end the war of a darkness that thinks that it can overcome the light of a faith that seeks the promised victory of a Goodness that drives your life towards living it to the fullest!  RECOVERY IS THE WEAPON that will show some enemy that You mean business, and that WE will succeed in not only recovering, but overwhelming the evil that wants to stop US from loving, living, and lifting up others to do the same.  With the love of God in our hearts, and the weapon of recovery, WE will win! (cf. Ps. 127:5)

What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

From time to time, this gem of a song appears on my playlist, and I am always encouraged. Elvis Costello penned the tune decades ago, capturing then, and now, a political chaos that always seems to take center stage, and the urge of simpletons like me to want to keep it all simple. No conclusions here, nor will I worry myself over "rockstar candidates" coming to town, or undereducated angst about what is or is not constitutional enough... I'll just be, and trust the movement of the Spirit in an adolescent society, kicking and screaming it's way towards it's inevitable need to accept the reality that it's time to grow up and make responsible decisions with the greater good in mind.

What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding?
-Elvis Costello

And as I walked on
Through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.

'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?


No comments:

Post a Comment